2011년 10월 29일 토요일

[METAFICTION STORY WRITING] A Psychology Experiment

     It was a sunny day with dazzling sunlight; so hot that anyone would take their shirts off when nobody's around. I, a painter living at the coastside for some kind of an inspiration that would lead me to draw a "painting of the century", called the host at the hotel to order a breakfast. "Get me a newspaper - California Tribune, if possible - and some toasts with jams and a glass of orange juice." 'What should I do today?' I was running out of money because I didn't have a fixed job yet. Then, a hotel worker brougdht me a newspaper and I naturally searched through the help-warranted ads. A psychology experiment caught my sight - "$200 per day for 3days", the advertisement said. 'Hmm.... that's a fabulous offer', I thought. It was about staying in a large sealed building in which the environment for this experiment was set; "No PHYSICAL HARM ASSURED", it sai. 'All right, I'll go for this'. And that was when my life changed unimaginably.
     After having finished the meal, I headed toward the place mentioned on the newspaper. It was a battered building with 5stories.
I entered.
I entered with expectations.
I entered with expectations without knowing that the event will change me into a whole different being.
I entered a brave new world.
A doctor came and asked me if I came to join the experiment. 'Yes. I am quite interested.' The person made me to sign a contract - it said something like "This experiment may give big shock on your life. If you with to maintain a normal life, you may not participate in this experiment". 'Well, I am a strong person. Besides, I need this money'. And I signed the contract.
     The whole experiment was about staying in a closed room for three days without any social contacts. I was not able to write letters, send e-mails, call my family, and even say hello to the gate keeper of the building. At first, I thought it would be easy - because I basically live a lonely life without much social relationships.
     On the very first day, I sat in the empty room thinking about my past - my school lives, previous job experiences, fight with my parents, and so on. I tried to dig out every single memories in my brain that are memorable. I thought and thought and thought. Surprisingly, only three hours passed. Then, I slept. Only two hours passed. I suddenly found out that there was nothing to do. 'What am I gonna do for the remaining 67 hours?' Oh my God....
     Before the second day, I was already thinking that I might become insane. What in the world should I do.... Then, I thought I may think about pictures. Since thinking was all I could do, I thought about renowned paintings by Da Vinchi, Rafael, and other artists. Then, I thought about how I am gonna draw a fabulous everlasting painting. What are the qualities that define a good painting? What should I draw about? I was turning crazy... Nothing came up and thus I was too lethargic to do anything...
     On the second day, I wished I could die for two days and come back. I just lay on the floor and spent the whold day... thinking, intermittently, about my life's aim; drawing a picture of the century.
     That night in my dream, I became a renowned artist. My paintings were priced higher than those of Da Vinchi's or Pollock's. I saw my drawing in the picture; it was drawn with a blood. At first I was very shocked. Then, I recognized; a drawing that reflects my life and my true feature is the one that would obtain perpetual influence.
     I woke up thinking about the dream. 'It is the last day', I thought. Then, I  suddenly recognized that I was sleeping in the hotel. 'What is happening?', I thought. In my hand, there was a California Tribune and on the table there were toasts and an orange juice. While eating, I knew I've gotten an inspiration.
     That day, I started drawing a picture. That picture is the picture of the century for me. That is the picture of the century both in reality and in the dream world where I underwent the psychology experiment.

댓글 1개:

  1. I'm not sure it follows the structure of "metafiction," but it is an interesting piece of creative writing. Good structure and nice ending that brings us back to the first moment. I had fun imagining this and you have some nice descriptions etc. Kind of a haunting little story. Good work.

    답글삭제